Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Supposed to be sleeping, but I'm not - thinking about Grandma.

So I just finished playing Farkle on Facebook... I had to force myself to stop. It is pretty addictive and reminds me of Yahtzee (haha, Firefox knows what Yahtzee is!) which reminds me of all the times my Grandmother and I would play Yahtzee and she would kick my butt. She is turning 90 next month, but I'm sure that if I played her now that she would still win. She is an amazing woman. Born in 1919, lived through the Great Depression, cared for both her parents when they were on their deathbed, moved from Toledo, Ohio on a whim, met my Navy man Grandfather and married him like 6 months later, dealt with 2 kids while my Grandpa was at sea, traveled the world, was a bookkeeper for many, many years, was my babysitter/tutor/best friend, cared for Grandpa when he was on his deathbed, supported the family when my Mother died, fought breast cancer and won, picked up and moved from her home of 60+ years to Florida, is the secretary & the treasurer for her community and this woman is still sharp as a tack! She plays a game called 'nickels' with her girlfriends every week, loves her cute chihuahua Holly, still drives (only during the day), still manages her finances/investments better than any accountant would, writes me an email every now and again (yea, my Grandma is internet literate!) and loves her family unconditionally no matter what. She has helped me so many times in my life in so many ways, I don't think I can ever thank her properly. My family is getting together to make a special trip down for her birthday and I just can't wait. The only snag is that I'm completely broke, so I'm hoping that I work something out with my Dad so that I can be there for this special occasion. I love my family and even though I technically had 2 Grandmothers, my Grandma Ruth was the only one that I ever had any real bond with. I just pray that I can visit her a hundred more times before it is her time to visit Grandpa in heaven. I love you Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment